Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's a girl!

My little sister (and by little I mean 28) and her husband are expecting their first child in March. They have recently found out that it will be a little girl. I'm so excited! It may be my only chance to fawn over a girl! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade having a son for anything in the world, but oh....girly things are just so much prettier!

After spending a few hours shopping online...we live a couple hours away from each other so that's how we do it... looking at fabrics for the nursery, we have decided to go with a few prints from the Botanica collection by Patricia Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics. They are so soft and pretty, yet have just a touch of sophistication that isn't overly "baby-ish". Here's the four we picked out:

Of course I couldn't just buy the yardage we need, I decided to get the whole bolts. I figured whatever we have left over, which will probably be a lot, will find its way into my shop.

So here are some ideas we have, and bear in mind that neither of us sew really well. In fact, I don't think she even knows how to use a sewing machine, but that's beside the point. She wants to do some basic fabric covered panels for the wall, almost like fabric wrapped canvases. She just wants something simple, yet with a big impact.

My idea was to take some old frames that she has and cover the mats with the fabric. Then, black and white or sepia toned pics of the baby/parents would go inside. I'll have to play around and see which color photos would work best.

She wants a cushion cover for a chest that she was given, and I'm considering taking on the task of making a crib bumper. I need to look for a pattern or an idea somewhere because I don't know how to begin!

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share! Especially if it is a no/low sew project!

No comments:

Post a Comment